The much-admired financial guru Suze Orman has had a successful popularity streak over the past few years. America has tuned into her popular TV show called the Suze Orman Show on CNBC and have purchased her best selling books to learn about her powerful financial beliefs and analysis. She is someone who is not shy when it comes to expressing her opinions on a subject, especially financial information.
Just this past Sunday Suze made a courageous move when she acknowledged the fact that she was a lesbian. During an interview held with Deborah Solomon of the New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/25/magazine/25wwlnq4.t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin), she asked Suze about her new book, her thoughts behind it, and her personal life. When Suze was asked if she was married she responded with “I’m in a relationship with life. My life is just out there. I’m on the road every day. I love my life.” The reporter was a bit confused with Suze’s response so she asked her what that meant exactly. Suze then openly responded with, “K.T. (Kathy Travis) is my life partner. We’re going on seven years.” Suze also mentioned the fact that she and her partner would love to get married because she would feel comfortable knowing that if anything were to happen to her that her partner would be taken care of. Suze mentioned that it scares her thinking that its possible “K.T. is going to lose 50 percent of everything she has to estate taxes. Or vice versa” due to the fact that they are unable to get married.
This was a huge and courageous move Suze made by finally speaking out about her sexuality. I’m sure it wasn’t easy especially because it was going to be published in an article by one of America’s most respected newspapers. It makes me wonder how Suze Orman’s conservative viewers and readers feel about this information. Nevertheless, I highly respect Suze for what she has done because during this day and age it is so hard to come out about your sexuality with out getting some sort of criticism for it. It’s unfortunate to think that being the profound business woman and highly successful person she is that her sexuality stands in the way of the marriage and future she and her partner long for.
1 comment:
haha. its funny you put this up--I was channel surfing the other day and saw her for the first time talking about finances to a woman who clearly could not afford a trip to fiji, but wanted to go anyway. I think its good that she was able to come out to the public being that it would become a 'top story' on every newspaper and commercial. I found your blog very imformative and clearly written. NICE JOB
Post a Comment