Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Touchy Subject


As I began writing my blog in the beginning of the semester, I told myself that I wasn’t going to incorporate religion into my posts. I just felt that it would open up a whole other door of controversy and opinions that are hard to justify and being that religion is a sensitive subject to talk about.

Yet, I heard some rather upsetting news regarding Vatican officials and Pope Benedict that I just had to mention. It seems as though Italy is trying to offer more rights to the gay community, which is great! When news of this got to the Vatican, it didn’t end up so well. Sources say that Archbishop Angelo Amato, who is very close to the Pope, stated “parliaments of so-called civilized nations where laws contrary to the nature of the human being are being promulgated, such as the approval of marriage between people of the same sex” responded a bit hostile to the subject of same sex marriages.

Being of the Catholic faith myself, I know that same sex marriage is not recognized or accepted. That is fine and I hardly ever hear gay activists asking for the right of a holy matrimony in the first place. Gay activist solely want same sex marriage to be legal in the eyes of the government and issued the same rights as heterosexual married couples. I guess the reason why I am disappointed is that I found Archbishop Amato’s quote rather offensive. Being of Catholic faith myself, I was always taught to love thy neighbor and treat others the way you would like to be treated. Yet, Archbishop Amato’s remarks in response to Italy’s consideration of more rights to the gay community was so un Christian like in my eyes.

No comments: