Sunday, April 22, 2007

A visitor

Here it is! The post I had promised you all from my friend Cassandra that includes her views on being gay and of course same sex marriage.


Mostly everyone believes that love is unconditional, that when you fall in love nothing and no one matters…all that matters is that “you have each other.” Yet that isn’t the case for me. I love my partner unconditionally and I’d do anything for us to be happy together, but there is one problem…my partner is a she. I have been a member of the LGBT community for about 4 years, and being in a lesbian relationship has not been easy.

I came out to my family when I was 17 years old and fortunately, I was one of the “lucky ones.” My mother took it so well and she accepted me automatically for who I was. I cannot say that my experience as a lesbian has been a horrible one, but it hasn’t been the smoothest ride either. Though I also consider myself lucky in the sense that I have people who love me for who I am, give me a positive outlook on life, and keep a smile on my face. I always try to surround myself with the resources and people that I know won’t set me up for emotional distress.

I work as a program coordinator in the Pride Center at my University and I am involved in various organizations that aid to the LGBT community. It has become something I am passionate about and being able to help others is the most rewarding. Yet, when it comes to love, it is where I am the least accepted. I was with my partner for over two years and we had to end our relationship because her family wouldn’t accept her as a lesbian. Until this day, it breaks my heart that my partner and I can’t be together because of society and all its negative stereotypes that have influenced people’s (her parent’s) outlook and decisions amongst the LGBT community.

I am a firm believer in same sex marriage; I want to get married and form a family and be happy just as everyone else. Yet, that dream sometimes seems impossible for me. I fear that I will have to stay lonely or in a hidden relationships for the rest of my life because others wont accept me any my lifestyle. I would like to just live my life peacefully and not feel ashamed of loving another woman. I would like to marry the woman I love and plan ours lives together with out feeling scared or degraded. Until that day comes I can only hope for the best.

No comments: