Monday, March 5, 2007

Senator Clinton Pro Gay Rights


MSNBC reported http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17469609/ that New York’s current Senator Hilary Rodham Clinton has announced in an unpublicized speech that she would like a partnership with the gay community if she was elected president and stated “I am proud to stand by your side” to the Human Rights Campaign during her speech. I am glad to see that Sen. Clinton is actually standing up for the gay community and isn’t ashamed of wanting to have a relationship with them. Not too many political officials would be caught doing such a thing.


I was surprised to read that Sen. Clinton is also in favor of opposing her husbands “don’t ask, don’t tell policy” which let gay individuals serve in the military only if they kept their sexual orientation private. I very much disagreed with that policy because it was unnecessary and didn’t make any kind of progressive change for the gay community in the military besides keeping their sexual orientation a secret rather than expressing it. Sen. Clinton response to her husbands’ policy was, “it would be safer for the nation if openly gay soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen could wear the uniform. This policy doesn't just hurt gays and lesbians, it hurts all our troops and this to me is a matter of national security and we're going to fix it.” I highly respect Sen. Clinton on her rather positive statements; maybe with a President like her in office legalization of same sex marriage won’t be too far along.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I just recently read about Bill Clinton's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, and although I'm leaning towards Obama, I'm very pleased with Hillary's response and the fact the she openly wants to create a relationship with the gay community. Every step in the right direction counts!